Friday, September 16, 2011

15 months!

Madison is 15 months old today! In some ways, she acts like a 15 year old :) She is really a sweet girl, but she certainly has her defiant, stubborn moments! I've heard easy babies are tough as teens, maybe tough babies will be easy as teens? LOL! I can only hope! But really, she's not a "tough" baby, she just knows what she wants and doesn't want and isn't afraid to make these desires known :) Eating can still be a challenge, and we've given in to putting yet another gate up in the house to keep the dogs out of the kitchen when she's eating). She prefers to feed them over herself most of the time.

She had 4 shots today (including the flu) and cried bloody murder but quickly got over it once I was able to pick her up and give her some juice. I say cried "bloody murder" but really, she did one of her "silent screams," which is mouth wide open, eyes tightly shut, tears already flowing but no sound for a good 3-5 seconds and then an ear-piercing SCREAM! You know it's bad when you get the silence first before a scream, LOL!

Doctor said she looks great. He thinks the fact that she STILL has no teeth is very unusual and suggested seeing a dentist, at least to get her acclimated to it. I told him it's clearly genetics and I wasn't terribly worried about it, but we would visit a dentist. He wasn't worried either really, but definitely found it odd...

Height: 32" (91.15%)
Weight: 23 lb 9.5 oz (63.25% for her age, but the % is much lower for her height - she's slim)

Not much new has happened in the past month, except we spent Labor Day Weekend in the Clifton area. It was a busy 3-day weekend, for sure, but fun was had by all! Well, most of it was fun. We USUALLY try to plan our road trips when she will be napping. Even if she doesn't sleep the whole way, if she sleeps in the beginning she's usually more mellow when she wakes up for the rest of trip. This time around, schedules didn't allow that to happen. We picked her up from day care about 30 minutes after she woke from a nap so she was ready to PLAY by the time she got in the car and didn't take sitting down for an extended period well. So, the drive there was a little rough but we made sure to get on the road when was ready to sleep on the way back to Houston and that was much more pleasant :)

Madison got to go to her first Clifton Cubs football game! This was literally 45 minutes after we got to town, and it started past her bedtime. She handled the game pretty well, considering, and lasted through half-time. We left after that but the Cubs won! Go Cubs!

That Saturday, we went to a family reunion (Danny's mom's side). Madison had the most fun chasing this lone balloon around the dance floor of the venue we were at, and shaking her booty to the latin music :) She was getting in touch with her 25% hispanic side! LOL! Then we went to visit Granny Jo and Aunt Lillian for a bit.

Sunday we spent the mid-part of the day at the Waco Zoo with some other family members, including Madison's Aunt Megan! We usually bring the stroller to the zoo, but we've found that she doesn't like to get in/out of the stroller. She enjoys seeing the exhibits better when you take her out but doesn't want to get back in (it's not that she hates the stroller - she loves it - but prefers your arms), so you are then forced to carry her around a big, hot zoo for the rest of the trip. We decided to try out a wagon and she absolutely LOVED it!!! :) We were able to take her in/out without any problems. A wagon is definitely on my wish list now! We can always rent one when we go to the zoo, but it would be great around the neighborhood or parks as well.

We spent Sunday evening at Dan Sr's house, where Madison got to meet all of their animals, including a bunch of dogs, cats, and horses! She was timid with the horses, but hopefully she will grow to love them like her mama :) The dogs, on the other hand, she loved! They also have the sweetest Persian cat, appropriately named "Princess," that actually let Madison kiss and love all over her! Maddie loves to give her animals - real and fake - snuggles and kisses :)

So, back to Madison's progress/challenges...

She's working on a few more words (some I'm not totally sure of, but they are close enough and in context with the situation)
1. I think she's trying to say milk but it comes out as 'mi-mi-mi-mi.'
2. More = 'mo'
3. Nose = 'no' but point at either her or someone else's nose. She's also taken to sticking her finger up her nose, lol!

Challenges:
1. Food always seems to be a bit of a challenge. I often have a hard time figuring out if she's not actually hungry and that's why she's playing/throwing her food, or if she doesn't like what I've offered. Lately, I've started offering up to 3 different things (not all at once), and if she's still refusing to eat, playing around; etc. then I assume she must not be hungry. I'm not going to offer her one of everything in the pantry/fridge. My grandmother used to make a different meal for each of her 4 kids for each meal (even when they were older) - whatever they wanted - and that is NOT going to happen in our house!

2. I can tell she knows a lot of words and even her day care teachers have said that she takes direction very well. I believe she is a smart little girl; however, she isn't as talkative as some other kids. I know kids will progress whenever they are ready, but I feel this is partially my own and Danny's fault. I know it's important to keep a constant 'conversation' going with her, but this is something we have both struggled with from the beginning. I am a more talkative person, by nature, than Danny; however, it's challenging even for me to continually talk to her during normal daily activities - all day - when she's obviously not talking back to me. It just still doesn't feel natural to me. This month, I have made a more concerted effort to do this - describing things I/we are doing - and her teachers have said she's been more talkative at school lately, so hopefully it's helping! :) She also happened to be pretty talkative at the Doctor visit today, and he usually comments about how quiet she is, so I think he was happy with her progress!

I will leave you with some pictures from Labor Day Weekend!

with her Pa-paw with Aunt Megan
At the zoo 4 generations!

No comments:

Post a Comment