Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Rolly polly in the crib!

It's been a big few days for Miss Madison! I know I usually go forever in between posts but I'm so proud of my baby girl and couldn't wait to brag :) hehe! On Monday, she rolled over for the first time (tummy to back)! I've been trying to catch it on video but so far it hasn't happened again. You have to catch her at the right moment - not too tired, too full, or too hungry. With a baby those moments can be few and far between! She's also SOOOO close to rolling from her back to tummy and seems to be trying so hard. With this good also comes the (sort of) bad - as her Mimi rightly says - I will have to keep an even closer eye on her now that she's learning to roll. Apparently her Daddy used to roll all over the house to get at whatever he wanted :)

The other big news is she's finally sleeping in her crib (as of yesterday)!!! I've been trying the occasional nap over the past few weeks but I guess she just wasn't ready since she's been so used to sleeping in her snug, inclined hammock. I was also trying to get her to fall asleep in my arms and then put her in the crib and that never worked. So, yesterday for her first nap, I turned on her mobile with the projector on it and she eventually fell asleep on her own!! The next few naps, she needed her pacifier to fall asleep but she woke up happy and smiling (would even hang out awake in the crib for a good 10-15 minutes before calling for me). I was nervous about trying it overnight (I've become so used to solid sleeping) but I figured it was going well during the day and I would have to try it at night at some point so there was no time like the present. Well, she woke up more often but I still never had to go to her (stayed in there from 7:30pm-7:15am). Sometimes she would cry out but only once (never full on cry) and was always able to go back to sleep on her own. But, MAN, did she SQUIRM!!! LOL!! I saw it happening during her naps. This picture is from her video monitor during her first nap - while she was "soothing" herself to sleep she would kick her legs and squirm around and ended up in this position.


(That thing in the corner is a positioner I tried before she started rolling but it didn't seem to work and has since been taken out of the crib). I put her lengthwise in the crib with her head at the far end. Well if that happened during a 45 minute nap, I'm sure you can only imagine what a nearly 12hr night brought on! With the video monitor I was able to observe (yes, I woke up several times last night to look when she woke up) she went from one end of the crib to the other, made several full rotations, and even kicked the wall a few times :) Yet, she still woke up with a smile on her face!! Sometimes she would sleep on her side and even got close to sleeping on her tummy a few times, but I suppose if she rolls on to her tummy she's capable of rolling back now. The only negative was she woke up with several scratches on her head from flailing her arms about (I guess?). I cut her nails yesterday but I guess I need to do a better job of smoothing them with a file afterwards.

I also think she may be starting to teethe. She definitely has been drooling for a while now but she's taken to full-on biting/knawing on her own or our fingers and there are times when she's downright angry if she doesn't have something to knaw on (her favorite is her burb rag but she's not so great at putting it in her mouth - it has to happen by accident). The thing that's weird is she wants to knaw on her side gums - not the front - but first teeth usually come in the front, so I'm not sure if she's teething. I've bought her a few teether toys but she's not interested because they are too hard and too big to put in the side of her mouth. She doesn't seem to be in any pain though, so that's good!

Well, I'll keep trying to get video of her rolling over and post it here when it do! Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment