Monday, September 6, 2010

Moving in the right direction...

So, this past week has been a pretty good one. I've still got my eyes out for that "perfect" nanny but I'm realizing that the flexibility that this hourly day care offers me cannot be matched with any kind of baby sitter. I like most things about the day care and the girls that work there really love Madison. The only issue really is the sleeping one but I'm thinking once she goes more often and starts to get more used to it, she will eventually get better sleep there. The good news is that her night time sleeping still isn't being affected (at least not in a negative way) by her lack of naps during the day. She slept through the night again one night this week (after day care) but otherwise she's been pretty consistently waking up to eat between 1-2am and 5-6am.

So, in addition to deciding to stick with day care, I also made the decision to just bite the bullet and hire a maid and boy am I happy I did!! They came on Friday and I don't think my house has ever been this clean :) I was able to relax so much more this weekend not having to think about how messy the house is. Between the normal mess that we make, the animals, and her stuff, it gets pretty bad around here quite fast! And I just don't have time to deal with it so it piles up! I think with someone consistently cleaning (and cleaning well) all of our allergies will be better also!

On Friday, I also decided to try to put her down for her naps without being swaddled (just wearing her "wearable blanket" or "toe sack" as her Mimi likes to call it, lol!) and the first nap was only 45 minutes but the next one was 3HOURS!!! She hasn't napped that long since the first few weeks of life!! So, she has been out of the swaddle ever since :) She's not necessarily sleeping better yet (I think the 3 hr nap was just her being totally exhausted) but she's definitely not worse, so I'm happy! Next goal - the crib!! Right now, I've got her napping in her Moses basket (which she barely fits in anymore!) inside the crib so she doesn't feel the vastness of crib itself. As we speak, this is the first attempt with the basket so we'll see how long this nap lasts. Who knows, maybe by the next post she will be in the crib itself full time! :)

So, this past weekend was really nice! First we got up Saturday morning and went to breakfast at one of our favorite spots. Madison does pretty well at restaurants although she usually won't sleep. She loves to be taken out of the car seat harness (sometimes we have to hold her to keep her happy) and just look around and anything and everything! Then we decided to make a quick trip to the mall since Danny needed a cufflink repaired and we had some gift cards to Baby Gap that we still had not used. We are quickly growing out of the 0-3 month clothes and we don't have as much 3+ months - and definitely don't have any winter clothes - so we got her some cute stuff :) It's hard to believe we're already shopping for a jacket for our little summer baby! Time flies by SO fast!!! Also, we had joked about this before, but we've realized that when you have a baby you are often eating and shopping with the old folks (I'm talking gray hair, retirement home age here so if our parents are reading this, please don't get offended!) If we go out to eat, we have to go super early (if we want breakfast we are usually at a restaurant by 7:30-8am and dinner between 5:30-6:30pm) so we can try to get her back home in time for a good nap, lol! We got to the mall on Saturday before it even opened and seriously 9 out of 10 cars in the parking lot were driven by older people!!!

Also this weekend, Danny's mom - Madison's "Mimi" - came in town to visit. There was definitely no shortage of attention for our little Princess this weekend :) Mimi hung out with Madison giving Danny and I some time to ourselves. We had our first official solo date night since Maddie was born so we got dressed up and went to our favorite little special occasion spot - a fancy italian restaurant downtown called Damien's - and had a really nice dinner and bottle of wine. Of course, we've both gotten so used to going to bed early, after a bottle of wine we were both pretty tired early in the evening. Mary offered to take Madison's night feedings Saturday night so both Danny and I were able to get a solid night's sleep, at the same time! :) It's always nice having Mary in town so I think we were all bummed when it came time for her to leave on Sunday. Maddie just grows so fast! I wish she got to see the rest of her family more often! My dad usually comes by once a week or every other week but even he sees big changes in her with each visit!

As of last Thursday or so, Madison really starting coo-ing A LOT!!! She LOVES funny faces and noises and it's gotten to the point where you can easily sit with her for at least an hour and get big smiles and all kinds of coo's and talking noises. I'm trying to get it on video but as soon as you turn the camera on she's more interested in that bright light on the camera than your face, so it's been difficult to get a whole lot on film :)

So, while writing this, Madison woke up 30 minutes in to her nap. Although I don't think it was because of the basket/crib/laying on her back thing. She almost always wakes up 30 minutes in to a nap - I could almost set my watch to it. It's so frustrating! She may take one good nap a day but most of the naps are only 30-45 minutes max. I've read in to it and apparently it's a pretty common problem. Something about the babies wake up for a second before transitioning in to a really deep sleep and some babies just aren't able to go back to sleep again. But I don't think it's a self-soothing thing. She's able to fall asleep on her own at night. With her naps, I can sometimes pick her up and get her back to sleep or put her in the swing to go back to sleep but not always and it's obviously time consuming (which makes working even more difficult). A lot of people say to just let her cry for a while until she goes back to sleep but I'm just no good at that :( I know we're getting close to the point where we are going to have to start letting her cry it out (like when we wean her off middle-of-the-night feedings). I'm really not looking forward to that...

Well, I think those are all the updates for this week! I'll leave you with some pics :)








No comments:

Post a Comment