Sunday, August 29, 2010

I suck at posting...

Life's just been way too busy! So, since my last post, there's been quite a bit going on I suppose.

1 week ago Friday, Madison had to go in for her 2 month appointment (she was actually 9.5 weeks by then but oh well) which meant her first round of shots :( Danny was originally going to go with me to the appointment but since he got sick the previous week and had to take off, he needed to stay at the office that day. I was really nervous! I was told to give her some infant tylenol before hand, so about 1.5 hrs before the appt I gave her the bottle with the meds and off we went. I can't remember the exact numbers because the sheet is in her room and she's napping right now, but her stats were basically: length: 23.5 in (90th%), weight: 11lb 2oz (50/75%) and I don't remember the head circumference but it was 50th%. So, although her weight may be a bit on the higher side, she's long! She's got the standard chubby cheeks and double chin that most babies have but from the neck down she doesn't look too pudgy to me :) So, after the measurements, the doc came in and gave her the look over then we had to wait for the nurse to come in with the shots. Well I guess the Tylenol worked because she fell asleep in my arms waiting for the nurse so we had to wake her to give her the shots (poor thing). She took the liquid medication they gave first like a champ - no problems. Then came time for the scary part. I gave her the paci and leaned over so she had to stare straight in to my eyes, held her down and talked to her. She SCREAMED when the pricked her with the needle (they had to do 3 shots - 2 in one leg, 1 in the other, but they did it fast) but as soon as they were done and I picked her up, she immediately stopped crying! :) I was so proud of her!!! I think I was shook up longer than she was. Then she went back to sleep when we got in the car to go home. She was a little fussy that evening but she usually is that time of day, and then she slept for 7 hrs straight for the first time ever! :) Of course, that was from whatever time she went down to 3-something-am but I was excited!

So, the next day (last Saturday), we took her up to College Station for the first time for Aunt Lillian's b-day / Miller family gathering. She did really well on the ride up there and back (for the most part) although on the way up there we had to stop to give her the rest of the bottle that she didn't finish before we left. She was a very good girl while we were there too! She received plenty of attention - especially from her Mimi! :) Half way there I realized I should have put her aTm cheerleader outfit on her but I know there will be more opportunities for her to wear it!

So, each week it has become harder and harder to get work done, so since she got her shots I decided it was time to start taking her to the hourly day care I found - at least until I found a part-time nanny. The first day I took her was last Tuesday. She was the only baby there the whole time so she received all of the care-givers attention, which was comforting for me. However, she really wouldn't nap for more than 20-30 minutes at a time and she "nibbled" the whole time (only taking a few oz every couple of hours instead of 4-6 oz in one sitting and waiting 3-4 hrs until the next feeding. I guess I need to tell them that she needs to drink most of the bottle in one sitting. Part of the problem with her napping is that she's still sleeping in her angled bassinet thing and of course they only have regular cribs there. When I took her there for the second time on Friday I had them put her in the swing to sleep but she still only cat-napped. Part of the problem on Friday was there was another "baby" in there with her, only he was 16 months old and wailing the whole time. The infant room goes up to 18 months. So, there's nothing I can do about other kids in there with her. She's usually happy when I pick her up - she will start grinning as soon as I turn on her favorite toy in the car - but she seems extra tired and cranky in the evenings when we get home. However, the first day of DC (Tuesday) she slept through the entire night for the first time (about 8:30pm-5:45am)!! She hasn't done it again since then but so far her night sleeping has been very consistent regardless of whether she has a good or bad nap day, so that's great! She usually goes to bed between 6:30-8pm, wakes up around 1am and around 5am. The good thing about this day care is the flexibility - I can take her whenever and if I have to change at the last minute it's no big deal (whereas with a nanny I have to try to schedule work stuff around her schedule and last minute changes may be difficult). It just sucks when you work so hard to get her on a routine and it's thrown out the window when you have to take her to day care :( I also tried out the parent lounge they have next door to the day care. It's a really nice setup, but I realized during the 2nd day that I wasn't going to be able to work there. The first day I was the only one there and there weren't that many kids, but the second day there was someone else there having a meeting and a couple of really loud and angry kids that I could hear through the walls (and apparently so could my boss during our conference call - oops)!

So, I've interviewed a few potential nannies and left messages for a few more that have applied (I joined a site called sittercity.com where you can post jobs and people apply - they have background checks and everything). So far, I haven't found anyone I really like. There was this one girl that I really liked on paper but she never showed up for our scheduled interview yesterday! So, I obviously scratched that one off the list!! It's just really frustrating because this whole process is so time consuming. It's my own fault - I should have started earlier - but I really thought I could handle both her and the job. From my perspective, I think I am handling it (I've been back 3 weeks and just got a placement whereas my colleagues haven't placed anyone in many, many months), but from my boss' perspective I'm not as accessible so I guess I have to do what I have to do to keep him happy, right? I keep telling myself, sometimes you have to spend money to make money so hopefully that will be the case. I think I'm also going to have to bite the bullet and hire a maid also. I'm also able to advertise for that on that sittercity site so I'm talking to a few potential maids as well. The independent ones are definitely more affordable than the services. I just don't have the time or energy to take care of cleaning the house right now!

I can't believe it's already (almost) September! We bought Madison's Halloween outfit yesterday! :) We may not go anywhere or do anything but since Danny and I met on Halloween I wanted to make sure we did something. When I saw this at Babies R Us I knew I had to get it since I grew up loving Tigger! It's probably still going to be a bit too big (too long more than likely) but oh well! I hope she will wear it without screaming, lol! Should be interesting :)


Well, I started writing this entry at about 11am this morning and it's now 10 till 8 so I think I will just leave you with some pictures now! Once I hire some help, maybe I will be able to update more :)

Maddie was kind enough to let me take a shower...


All smiles :)



Aunt Lillian's B-Day Celebration - with the birthday girl and Granny Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment