Sunday, July 25, 2010

latest update


So, since my last post, Madison's sleeping and pooping (sorry) has gotten better but we're still not as consistent as I'd hoped to be at least with the sleeping. It's been tough getting her down for naps during the day still but easier than it was earlier in the week! She just kicks her legs sooo much! At first I thought that was because she needed to pass gas and/or poop but she'd still kick them like crazy even right after she went. So, now I think she does it when she's fighting sleep off. She's lasting about 3 hours between feedings, sometimes 4; however, I thought (based on her age) we should be at a consistent 4-5 hrs between feedings at this point. I know every baby is different but I can't wait till we can go that long on a regular basis :) We have learned that she will usually fall asleep in her swing if we swaddle her first, so that's a nice new tool to have. She's been awake a lot more - we've found her play mat to be a good source of entertainment for everyone.

We tried the bumbo seat - she's NOT a fan at this point!

Her neck seems to be really strong! She was looking all over the place when I put her over my shoulder this morning. She even got a little love from her buddy, Bismarck! :)


She's also enjoying her baths more, or at least tolerating them better. We usually bathe her right before a feeding so perhaps it's because she's hungry but she likes to stick her tongue out to catch the water :) She's still not loving the soaping up part but really seems to like the water being sprayed on her. I tried to upload video but it's giving me error messages...will try again another time!

So, in other news, we've been dealing with a pretty annoying situation at the house. A few weeks ago during all that rain, we discovered that water was coming in through the back door and it warped 4-5 laminate floor boards right by the door. There used to be a screen door there (that Dashall chewed through a few months ago and so we removed it) and we didn't realize that the foam weather stripping around the perimeter of the door was bad (I replaced the weather stripping on the bottom of the door a few months ago). So, we assumed that was how the water got in. Well, we discovered last night (during more rain) that the water was actually coming in from UNDER the threshold of the door. Well, we put silicone along the edges so hopefully we fixed that part of the problem. Well, the bigger problem is the laminate is at least 10 years old and after pulling a few boards up and visiting several flooring stores, I've learned that they don't even make boards the same thickness or with the same connecting system anymore (and no, the previous owners didn't leave us any spare boards). So, I spent all weekend running around trying to figure out our options. Not only am I a perfectionist with certain things but I'm also concerned about re-sale on the house. I don't want a ghetto fix that we are going to end up paying more for (one way or the other) when we get to that point. We won't live here forever! So, we only have a few options. Given the floor plan of our house the only room that has the matching floors that's not directly connected to the rest of the floors would be the office. I could pull the floor from there to replace the damaged planks and completely re-floor the office; however, that would cost me minimum $500 in material alone. So, now I've decided to lay down a tile area...hopefully it will turn out like I'm picturing. Thankfully, Danny's Uncle Joe has offered to help us (saving us valuable labor money) but time is limited for everyone so I'm not sure when we can get it done. For now, this is what we get to look at (hopefully we've at least stopped any potential molding issues for the time being).


The blue tape is where I'll put the tile. The tiles you see in the picture are the few the previous owner left from the foyer tile - they are just sitting on the floor. The red tape to the left is the damaged laminate that would still be exposed so I'll use the good laminate from the other red box to patch the bad laminate - in theory...

So, I was hoping for a somewhat relaxing weekend since Danny can help more with Madison on weekends but instead, all my time was dedicated to trying to fix this issue. Joys of home ownership!!

No comments:

Post a Comment